On 29/3/23 14:30, Andrew Harvey wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 14:05, OSM via Talk-au <talk-au@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

    Since the coastline tag is also supposed to represent the high
    water mark then I would say that they should be snapped together
    (since they then represent the same feature - that is, the high
    water mark). This would mean that the boundary data already in OSM
    from the government basemaps would just be their own mapping of
    the high water mark, and probably be less up to date or refined as
    our own.

Exactly. So if anything we should be actively snapping them.

I believe this is wrong. For example in NSW...

From
https://rg-guidelines.nswlrs.com.au/deposited_plans/natural_boundaries/consents_naturalboundaries

"However Crown Lands is not the only owner of land below MHWM. Where Crown Lands is not the owner of land adjoining the foreshore, consent must be obtained from the appropriate authority. Some of these include:

 * National Parks and Wildlife Service (where tidal waters have been
   included in land resumed for state or national parks)"

    This is my first time responding on talk-au, lmk if I've messed up
    any formatting to link to the original question.

Welcome!

The content looks fine to me.