On Mon 2023-10-16 20:32:16 +1100, Yuchen Pei wrote:

> On Mon 2023-10-16 17:01:23 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:

>> That's okay. I created https://github.com/alantgeo/vicmap2osm as a mirror
>> of the GitLab code, happy to collaborate via Issues and Pull Requests there.

> Thanks, but Github is bad. It requires running proprietary javascript[1]
> to create issues, pull requests and perform other basic tasks for
> collaborations, and has many other issues[2] too, like suspected
> laundering copyleft code into copilot. Since you are creating a new
> mirror, why not choose a more ethical option[3] that respects user
> freedom, like codeberg[4], notabug[5], pagure[6], or sr.ht[7]?

> [1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
> [2] https://sanctum.geek.nz/why-not-github.html
> [3] https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html
> [4] https://codeberg.org
> [5] https://notabug.org
> [6] https://pagure.io
> [7] https://sr.ht

And there's always tried and true email based code review which we can
do say in this mailing list, which both of we are already using. The
person (say me) who wants to send a pull/merge request can create
patches using git format-patch[1]. I can then send the patch to this
mailing list, and then the person who reviews (say you) can comment
inline, and I can respond to the comments inline, just like normal
emails. After some back and forth once you are happy with the patches
you can apply them to your repo with git am[2].

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-format-patch
[2] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-am

I got a few commits so far in my fork[3], and if you are open to doing
it in this mailing list, I'll prepare some patches and send them here.

[3] https://g.ypei.me/vicmap2osm.git/log/

> [... 15 lines elided]

Best,
Yuchen

--
Timezone: UTC+11
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0