French Island is often used by flight schools as a training area for pilots due to its low population, specifically for practicing engine failures where the student will glide the plane down to 500 ft and simulating the emergency procedures before flying back up to altitude. When I was completing flight training, I was told that in the past, students were allowed to perform a "touch-and-go" (the plane lands and then takes off again without stopping) on French Island during simulated engine failure. I'm not sure if this was done only on the mapped airstrips, or on other farms too. Perhaps the airstrip in question was mapped because it was previously used by students for training.

This practice isn't allowed anymore so any landing strips mapped solely for that purpose should be removed. It might also explain the "Overpass" name.

Cheers,
Sam