> And if you look at the English descriptions (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Places), it clearly states
> that a hamlet is a rural community. So that would certainly not fit for
> Mariakerke. As it's part of the centre of Oostende.

Well, it needs some historical context:

The conventions were written when we only had the tags city, town, village,
suburb and hamlet. Over time some new tags were added like neighbourhood and
recently quarter.

place=suburb isn't used in Belgium since our cities are basically too small
for the tag to fit.

place=hamlet can be replaced by place=neighbourhood nowadays in a lot of
cases, so wiki should be adapted. In some cases it may be difficult to put a
place in either the hamlet or the neightbourhood category but they're on the
same level of importance, so it shouldn't matter too much.

place=quarter was a bit controversial, and I don't really understand the
difference with place=neigbourhood, so I'd advice against using it. I don't
even know if it's being rendered already.

As for Mariakerke, I'd go with place=neighbourhood.

Greetings
Ben