Agree that you can not copyright two letters. If there ever has been a
copyright on it, it is public domain now since the author that put for
the first time an 'r' behind a 'g' must be dead for ages.
Even if it is a trademark, I fail to see why we could not map it. That
would imply that we can not put any trademarks on the map, so all
names of shops and companies should go. As long as we don't name our
product GR, don't see any problem. Since it is named OSM, I would say
that the name doesn't even remotely resemble GR. Of course FFRP might
not like the GRs being mapped, and they might even say that we can't.
But I really fail to see what they can do against it.

They trademarked both the name and the white-red lines to avoid that
anyone could create a walk, name it GR and use their style of marking.
But they cannot prohibit you to talk about their product or put on a
map where they can be found.

wouter

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Sander Deryckere <sander...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The name "GR" can't be copyrighted (there's not creativity in two letters),
> but it can be a protected brand.
>
> But therefore, it has to be registered in Belgium (a brand has to be
> registered in each country separately):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
>
> I'll check if it's registered in Belgium or not. If that is the case, GR
> routes can be entered, but they can't have the name or ref "GR", as we offer
> probably similar services (maps) as GR.
>

> 2012/8/26 eMerzh <merz...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>> just one tiny note about GR,
>> i don't know the situation here in belgium, but i know that in France,
>> the usage of the name GR is copyrighted
>> so they do not enter any GR waiting for the approval of the FFRP
>> (french federation of trail walking) owner of the copyright.
>>
>> it may be usefull to check the situation here.
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Ivo De Broeck <ivo.debro...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > See
>> >
>> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Route#Walking_routes_.28also_hiking_and_pilgrimage.29
>> > route=hiking is more used then route=foot
>> > hiking is IMHO a better name for GR (difference with lwn)
>> > and Potlach presets in "hiking", i know Potlach has to follow the
>> > Belgian
>> > rules and mappers are not so important.
>> > One of the things new mappers complain is that many things are not
>> > clear.
>> > The use of hiking and foot is one of those.

>> > --
>> > Ivo De Broeck
>> > Valleilaan 13
>> > 3360  Korbeek-lo
>> > Tel (0)16 43 84 93
>> > Gsm +32 486 17 61 13

"Wie niet in zichzelf gelooft, komt nergens."
                                       - Thor Heyerdahl