On Monday 15 October 2012 21:10:55 Pierre Parmentier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am following with interest the discussion about the 'OpenStreetMap
> Belgium asbl/vzw' project and the arguments in favour of one or two
> associations.
>
>    1. As an argument in favor of _one_ association, I can present the
>    example of an asbl/vzw working in Belgium in English: the BIMCC (
>    http://www.bimcc.org). The Circle is dedicated to the history of
>    cartography and ancient maps, etc. The bylaws are in French (see
> appendix). We 'work' in English and our Newsletter as well as our Website
> are also in English. We organise conferences in English. Meetings and
> visits are held anywhere in Belgium. But we may discuss in Dutch or French
> or German: anybody can express himself in his own language. Contacts with
> the various public departments are according to their language. It is true
> that our members from the south of Belgium are not so numerous. It is not
> only due to a lack of knowledge of the language but - in my opinion - to a
> lesser interest in the subject.

Well, ask them how it works with relation to the government and getting grants
etc. We can discuss all we want on this list, we're going to need some input
from experienced people before we make any decisions based on what we may
think.

>    2. Another example: the Swiss OpenStreetMap Association. Their Website
>    is in four languages!

If it were just languages, there wouldn't be a problem, it's basically about
money and getting the optimal structure for that.

>    3. In a very different domain, but still in a 'culture' matter, look at
>    the 'Vrijheids Festival des Libertés': bilingual with a large scope of
>    sponsors/partners, including public authorities.

Again, ask them how it works exactly. What the difficulties are, what you have
to certainly do etc. And report it back to this list.

>    4. May I also suggest to think about a support from the King Baudouin
>    Foundation?

I can't really match their goals with those of OSM though... Why do you think
they may be interested in OSM?

Ben