On 2012-11-19 10:52, Benoit Coumont wrote :
Hello everybody,

I found this file with the localisations of zones 30 in Belgium (streets where the speed is limited to 30 km/h). It's collected by some people on this forum of gps users with the objective to see them on their gps software: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123619

I writed to Jean Herman (hermanjea...@hotmail.com), the manager of this collect. He's ok to give this work to the OSM community. He told me the difficulty to organize the management and confess the slow death of this project. He didn't know OpenStreetMap, so I presented to him the advantages of OSM could give for this work. But I'm not sure he's ready or able to use OSM on his gps.

Anyway, there are data we could use. But it's saved on a strange file (ov2) non recognized by the famous gspbabel. He use a free (free as a free beer and not as freedom of speech) software for windows called POIedit. I only use Linux on my computers so I couldn't do the conversion. Could somebody do that and post the result on the wiki?
What do you mean, "only Linux"? With "only Ubuntu", I ran the following command

perl -pe 's/^^(.*), +(.*),.*\]
+([^(]*)\(?([^)]*).*\@.*/$2\t$1\tZones30\/zone30.png\t32,32\t0,0\t$3\t$4/'
zone30_BE.utf8> POIs.txt

that transformed the file to this format <http://www.papou.byethost9.com/maps/Zones30/POIs.txt> to be used to produce this POI map <http://www.papou.byethost9.com/maps/OpenLayers_Vector_fast.html?zoom=11&lat=50.53654&lon=5.53611&layers=BFFFFFTFFFFFT>. Other POIs demos via *+* button. I have a version with Google and Bing as backgrounds, but as they're earning money with that and give me nothing of it, I don't show these maps ;-)

The "only other" system does most probably not run that command and it doesn't know UTF-8 either. I've had to convert the asc file to UTF-8. All the files are here <http://www.papou.byethost9.com/maps/Zones30/>.

After installing Wine, you will probably be able to run POIedit.
If someone put this on the OSM database for his neighborhood, for his district and for his city, we could get quickly a map of speed limitations... Itoworld published a map to see that : http://www.itoworld.com/map/35#fullscreen
Unfortunately, one shouldn't write a file and use it to map on OSM.
One should update OSM and produce the files with it.
To update OSM, one must know the coordinates for the start and end of the limit.
I'm particularly convinced convinced that speed moderation is the best way to rediscover conviviality in our residential streets. Also, I added the 6 zones 30, corresponding to the seven school sites, in my neighborhood (St-Léonard, Liège) to demonstrate to politicals and residents that a wide zone 30 extended area would be more readable and consistent. An European petition is just launched to invite EU to take position. Informations and signs are on this website : http://30kmh.eu
I first thought of advising you to write a "howto update OSM for speed limits", but that's too dangerous to be done by anyone as it involves splitting roads. Rather, I would explain the people how to record the beginning and end GPS decimal coordinates of the limits while waiting for the children and to use OpenStreetBugs <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBugs>: go to here <http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/?zoom=8&lat=50.48674&lon=4.61604&layers=B0T> , high-zoom to the street, click on it and enter modification requests "limite 30 km/h LL.LLLLL l.lllll".
Or possibly "street number, nnn m north, sss m south".

I volunteer to make updates if I'm not the only one and if there is some way to send me warning e-mail without publishing my e-mail address, such as a mailing list.

Cordialement,

André.