Turn restrictions not for Mr. Everybody ? Did you try the iD UI for that ?
Simpler than that is almost possible (besides interpretation from spoken
natural language).

I've been thinking a bit about your proposal during my walk this afternoon.
I don't see how it helps when you have to turn a single way into a dual
carriageway or vice versa. Another problem that I see is that those
segments have to stay coupled to a street. Which makes it harder on the
server to verify. As far as I see it now, the implementation of the OSM API
for edits on the server is pretty straightforward and can handle large
loads. The more things that have to be verified, the higher the load for a
simple edit.

But with your new explanation, it seems that you make it even more complex,
since you create a segment / patch for each new combination of tags. So
when one wants to add an attribute to a street, one does not have to split
the street but X number of segments that might already exist ? With as only
benefit that there is only 1 object that represents a street. Which is
right now a number of OSM-ways that accidentally have the same name ? I
think the current approach of splitting a street is much easier then. We
just need an API to retrieve all OSM-ways that form a street. Some might
say "associatedStreet", others say "Street" (cfr. discussion on cycleways),
or maybe some upcoming Overpass feature might solve it (cfr a request from
the maker of [1])

AFAIK there are no restrictions implied by a service road. Some navigation
systems put a penalty on service roads, as they are typically not for
through traffic.

regards

[1] http://osm.mueschelsoft.de/cgi-bin/render.pl  -- shows all lane &
direction information for a street