An incomplete answer.

The icons are always part of a style. Some icons can be found in the
default style.
Other styles that you have downloaded can be found in ~/Library/Caches/JOSM
(on a Mac).
They have names such as
"mirror_https___josm.openstreetmap.de_josmfile_page_Styles_Lane_and_Road_Attributes_zip_1"

I have no idea in which style the icon that you are looking for can be
found.

I had some problems with the above style, which had "http" in its name and
was missing "_zip_1". Maybe because I had installed it a long time ago. The
updates didn't work. I had to remove the file from my cache directory. This
was the only way to resolve a missing bus icon.

regards