I would just stay with email. I vaguely remember reading the same advice on
the tagging mailing list earlier this year. According to taginfo just email
is just twice as much as contact:email.

And yes, two competing tagging schemes means that every data consumer has
to make two queries (or use "OR" in one way or another).

regards