Hi,

So, the final results of my tests are:

  * on Ubuntu 12.04, I was able to satisfy the GDAL 1.10 requirement by
    using qgis 2.8.1-Wien only from
    <https://github.com/3liz/QgisQuickOSMPlugin/issues/42#issuecomment-93610148>
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
    precise  main
  * the Web menu was absent and came back after uninstalling/installing
    OpenLayers
  * when applying style-for-multipolygons.qml : unexpected character at
    line 32 column 71 ; I'm stuck
  * what is "google-analytics" doing in style files? spying on
    OpenStreetMap?
  * When trying to read the Quick Osm created file into JOSM:  Could not
    read file 'qgis.osm'. Error is: Missing attribute 'version' on OSM
    primitive with ID 141247. (at line 6, column 55). 303 bytes have
    been read
  * the never-ending OSM file reading is just qgis being extremely slow
    at displaying it; use small maps
  * qgis installs files that are auto-removable

The main, short conclusions are that

  * the style sheets contain errors that prevent running this demo
  * QGIS+GDAL are not straightforward to install

Cheers

André.