Apparently, that page is active again:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waterway%3Driverbank&action=history

Some say waterway=riverbank is deprecated, others say it isn't. And the
wiki page only reflects the opinion of the one who last edited it.

As always, in OSM you should do what seems best, and not blindly trust the
wiki nor tool authors. I peronally like the water=river tagging, just
because waterway=riverbank seems strange to use it for an area (certainly
for a canal). You can be sure that the renderers understand both cases as
natural=water and waterway=riverbank are used a lot.

Regards,
Sander