We've had this discussion before, and you're representing the consensus: no
walking routes that aren't marked on the ground, and you should be able to
walk the route by following the marks or signs. Or we risk, as you say,
that everyone will just make their own routes, maybe put them on their own
website, and then copy it to OSM. Transport lines are something completely
different that don't apply here (and anyway, you can follow those routes
without any reference, just follow the bus, boat or whatever). Also, does
he even have permission to copy the routes from the books he's using? If
not, that's plain copyright infringement.

Greetings,
Ben