On 2016-09-14 05:52, Marc Gemis wrote:
> André, Julien,
>
> thanks for the replies. I've forwarded them to Michael and let hem
> answer your questions/remarks/concerns.
>
> My impression, based on aerial imagery, was that only a couple of
> streets might be classified incorrectly, But it hard to tell without
> knowing the area.
> As for the circles in Overpass, they are caused by very small (OSM)
> ways. There is a command that you can add to the css of Overpass to
> avoid them, but I leave it to Michael to solve.
Unfortunately,  trying to route based on administrative classification
is a lost cause.
If we were tweaking it to match usability, someone would soon come to
destroy the work.
My best example is this
<https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=50.53614%2C5.632821&point=50.546776%2C5.591397&locale=en&vehicle=car&weighting=fastest&elevation=false&use_miles=false&layer=Omniscale>.

National road N674 !!!
It's a winding narrow road where two lorries can hardly cross each other.
It's bordering a ravine on a great length.
One day, a lorry crumbled the side, fortunately only down a few meters
to the meadow below.
And I once skilfully dodged a van driving much too fast in the sharp bend.
No danger sign at all !!!

I once suggested that objective classification criteria were mapped to
be used for routing.
One which is important and easily mappable from aerial photos is the width.
Straightness can be calculated by the GPS based on topology.
Recommended speed is unhappily more subjective unless we find an
objective measure.
Surface quality too.
I suggested that bouncing could be measured by software using a GSM
accelerometer.

In a town, there is a mesh of major roads that cars follow to travel
inside, not across.
I mentioned boulevards d'Avroy and de la Sauvenière.
Julien mentioned them around place du Marché.
Around the Guillemins, they are avenue E.Digneffe, rue de Fragnée, rue
de Sclessin, rue des Guillemins, rue du Plan Incliné, rue d'Artois &
Fabry & Louvrex, etc.
All those streets could get routing specific tags that no one would disturb.

Cheers

André.