I think I have only seen a warning with landcover areas, as JOSM does
not really know that type of objects.

What are the tags you place on the "boundary"? You will never see this
warning on 2 connected buildings.
If you are mapping admin boundaries, you should use relations and have
the common way in both relations.

You can use the extrude functionality to draw two areas that share a
common way, see
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/Extrude.
Especially the little movie on the houses, but keep the "alt"-key
pressed during the extrude action (on a Mac).

m.