Hello,

I recently came across a parking building with multiple floors in OSM, in which
ways are tagged with 'level' and 'layer' tags. It struck me that there are ways
that have the very same geometry on different levels (see links below). As a
result, the map has four arrows (one for each level), indicating the oneway
direction, with only little space in between. It looks strange to me. But
having nodes and ways stacked on top of each other might have other unwanted
consequences, e.g. when you try to process the OSM data to get a road network
for routing and you do not take the level and layer tags into account.

So I am now wondering about the community's vision about this 2D vs 3D issue.
Can OSM still be seen as a 2D map? In what way is OSM evolving regarding this
topic? We now have this strange blend between a 2D visualization and a few 3D
tags that can cause issues. The notes and comments for the nodes below show
that there have been problems already.

Thanks for sharing your insights!

Four nodes at the same location:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4359171125
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4359171126
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4359171127
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4359171128
Two ways with the exact same coordinates:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/438182278
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/438182283

Kind regards,
Florian