I would assume that something like cycle.travel will compute a
bicycle-friendly route for the missing parts if all streets are mapped
properly with max speed, cycleways, surfaces, etc. There is indeed no
need/justification to map personal preferences/suggestions.

If the routes calculated by dedicate cycle routers are not taking the
best route, why not discuss this with the developers and see whether
they can improve their algorithms or perhaps they can suggest you to
add additional info that has an impact on routes. I did that in the
past for my home-to-work itinerary.

regards

m.