if the primary goal is to render according to gender, shouldn't the
workflow sort the streets according to the available information (all
the "Virginia A. streets" are probably female, right?) in order to
target first the streets where the gender is unknown (no first name or
abbreviation to expend in osm).

i find it very difficult to find the etymology of a street : it's not
because there is a very well known "Jean de la Fontaine" that all the
"Rue Jean de la Fontaine" talk about him. we risk adding supposed
information which would destroy the interest of the tag
name:etymology:wikidata when it's not necessary for gender rendering.