Hi Pierre,

I mapped a lot of boundaries in West-Flanders, using a tips from Marc
Deridder (user mdri on OSM) who sadly passed away just months after
finishing the Flemish borders.

Marc mapped most of the Flemish borders by using out-of-copyright Ferraris
maps. These could be aligned to the road network in OSM (remember, this was
before the availability of aerial imagery). This is also why the
part-municipalities were mapped before the municipalities: the Ferraris
maps show the old borders.

The borders have actually changed very little in that time. By carefully
defining reference points, and combining maps for both sides of the border,
we could usually get an accuracy of a few meters (good enough for
geocoding, which was the first aim).

Some borders did change in that time. I remember having issues with the
border between Rumbeke and Izegem. But most changes just aligned borders to
distinct features. In the case of Rumbeke and Izegem, the border was
aligned to the E403 motorway.

I hopo this clears up some of the mysteries.

Regards,
Sander