Hi Stijn,

Thanks a lot for sharing this. Despite the many hours I spent reading the doc, I never found this one... It definitely deserves attention from mappers focused on this network.

After reading, and with the various experiences I got mapping specifically that network, I would like to bring two elements to the attention of other mappers sharing the same interests:

1. Both the *designation* and *vicinal_ref* tags are definitely useful, I missed them a lot. Now I'll be able to refine the many places where it is useful, for both communities (balnam and OSM).

2. If sometime I spent half an hour deciding between highway=track and highway=path, I also spent _hours_ to decide between a path and a footway... Here is THE point that I would like to insist on, and that should probably be refined in the draft:  In the main description of the *highway* tag, for the *footway* value, ONE word is really import: [...] "*mainly*/exclusively for pedestrians" This "mainly" word allows to make a clean distinction according to the real world. This distinction is definitely necessary, and it would be a big issue if that "*mainly*" word disappears. The various places in the doc bring the reader to conclude that a footway must have a visible/clear restriction for pedestrians only. This would force to use a "path" in more than 99% cases, with the loss of an important information: Is that way usable for a non-pedestrian, non-sportman, a normal user (bicycler)? Is a biker welcome there?

If that second point is not clear, just think of a different rendering, like OpenCycleMap... For cycling, paths would stay visible, footways would disappear. This may imply a deviation of >20km or a trip cancellation for bicyclers! Also, a bicycler may be anybody on his Sunday ride, or a confirmed moutainbiker with good technical capabilities. Another example of dramatic consequences would be the result of routing software, like brouter.de, which could not be reliable at all! => Accurate information is fully relevant/important. (Rendering, as always, is secondary notion, that must not influence the accuracy of the data itself.)

NOTE: Please, consider checking around the *trail_visibility* tag too... It seems there are contradictions between this draft and the main understanding/other descriptions! There are many misuses of this one.

Regards,
François