In my opinion, kp is needed whenever *=milestone is tagged

For the possible conflict with highway=junction, the junction numbering does
not necessary give accurate kp, therefor there are no conflict. A junction ref
123 (if junction references are kilometer based) can be several hundred meters
from kp=123

Highway=milestone should be tagged where the sign is, highway=junction should
be tagged on the junction node, if they appear to be the same, tag the junction
with an additional kp value. I don't think this will become a problem

Aun Johnsen