On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Simon Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:30:37 -0700
> "Corey Burger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Showing transit routes is harder than it seems. Currently rail routes
>> and bus stops show up, but not bus routes. For that we need a separate
>> rendering, much like the cyclemap pops out cycling features like bike
>> lanes and bike routes, this new layer would pop out bus routes, bus
>> stops, subway stops, etc. However, such a rendering does not exist
>> yet.
>
> My understanding is that bus routes would be 'done' in relations.
>
> Osmarender is capable of placing a crude overlay ontop of the map for
> specified relations, if you are willing to provide a tile server. Also see my
> other comment about using OpenLayers to render relations directly.

Yes, they are mapped as relations. If you want an example, I have been
mapping bus routes in Victoria, but also just created routes in
Vancouver (22 Knight St) and in Kamloops.

As for rendering, you probably could do some sort of hacking on
openlayers to display a layer. That is not what the cyclemap stuff is.
Andy has done his work via playing with mapnik style sheets,
multi-pass rendering and image composition. He gave a talk at SOTM08
about it.

Corey