My guess was then that it was a bulk '1-time, almost-blind' import? Which
required a whole bunch of fixing up when in OSM data area....
This seems to be true when thinking about every case for importing lots of
data.

Unless these reference numbers can be somehow kept and archived as a layer,
so we would have both, the blanket imported, data.... in the busy areas it
doesn't get imported. So then we can turn on the layer and 'trace' over the
data in that layer.

So it becomes a 2 part process.
1 - Have all the Geobase data as a Layer, as a plug-in? (like Yahoo imagery
is currently vailable) so then all the reference data can be kept safe and
sound.
-and include all the 7 types of GeoBase data as layers in this set.
 (including Canadian imagery)
-so it can be updated, as geobase gets updated (in real-time?).
2 - Do a blanket import (1 tile at a time) and include all the  data in it.
.. so then on tiles of major cities, (bbox to as tight as possible) no
import happens. ... users would be then able to install the plug-in and
trace over that layer.  (dealing with corner cases.. conflicts.. etc)

Is that technically possible?

Sam