-Kevin Farrugia
kevinfarru...@gmail.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Farrugia <kevinfarru...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Why import all of Geobase/Canvec?
To: Matt Wilkie <matt.wil...@gov.yk.ca>

If it isn't much trouble, I'd suggest adding hydrology before adding DEM or
contours.  Although contours are important for somethings, hydrology is much
easier and quicker to recognize than a small change in the landscape, since
rivers and bodies of water generally cause large changes in the elevation
and landscape.  That being said, I don't think hydrology should necessarily
be added by default either, besides bodies of water because they don't
change (much) over time.  Rivers, creeks & other water courses could always
be added at a later date in a manner than allows users to trace them on to
the map.

I think we just have to be a bit conscious of project creep and that the map
doesn't become too busy.  It's something that adding all of the data that
both the DEM rasters and hydrology vectors contain might cause.  The map has
to be easy to read so that a grandparents can read & understand it as easily
as a paper map while someone who likes detailed maps can find all the useful
and pertinent information they're looking for.  Contours are more likely to
confuse people than water because they're quite rare in mass-produced
consumer road maps, although I could see some sort of DEM layer being useful
in a seperate mode (much like Google Map's terrain mode).

-Kevin Farrugia
(Kevo)