On the CanVec question - The CanVec road network data is or will be
identical to the GeoBase data.  Right now CanVec is identical to GeoBase
but prior to some of the GeoBase updates.  The data flow is provinces to
GeoBase to CanVec with processing / scheduling delays along the line.
CanVec is updated every 6 months or so and given processing times could
be as much as 12 months behind GeoBase.

The other difference to note is that the GeoBase data is continuous
while the CanVec data is cut at the sheet edges.  The CanVec data
carries the GeoBase unique identifier on the road segments.  When a
segment is split at the sheet edge both pieces will carry the same
GeoBase identifier so if you choose to use the CanVec data you might
want to plan on merging segments with common GeoBase identifiers.
(There is also a CanVec identifier which is unique to each segment piece
so be careful about which you use.)

A personal thought - Perhaps you could extract the list of GeoBase
identifiers from a CanVec data set and then use that to select the
GeoBase segment to add.  It should be possible to deal with the
duplicates fairly easily.  The main issue would be what to do with any
GeoBase segments left behind (these would be updates that have not made
it to CanVec yet.)

Similarly the GeoBase hydro data currently in production will replace
the CanVec data once it is complete and the updates will be to GeoBase
first, then promulgated through to CanVec.  This is the intention with
future GeoBase themes as well, as they are added.

On the ID question - The ID on the GeoBase objects is a permanent ID.
Attribute changes and positional updates (e.g. street re-alignments)
will not cause the ID to change.

Mike Mepham

Federal/Provincial/Territorial Liaison

GeoConnections Program