On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Dale Atkin <dat...@ibycus.com> wrote:

>  I'm planning on (and have started work on) an updated dataset using the
> CanVec data.  I don't expect to have it done until this summer.

Once the NRN scripting is ready (it probably is, i just don't know how to
use it yet :) ... then the script needs to be adjusted to start importing
the NHN . ... I don't yet know how much the folks on the talk-ca list have
looked at it. .. (as lots are available on CanVec) ...  'cause lots of
tracing has already been done.  ... just as lots of road have been done
(trace & gps track trace)

Once the NHN is done, i'll be working on getting the CanVec Data imported to
OpenStreetMap.

Unlike garmin, im not limited to the set of garmin features to use, as i can
be more specific to the tagging, ie. have sub-tagging, to further define the
features.

Once i figure out how to convert a shape file to OSM format by adding the
tags, i can then go through and start importing each shape file type with
the recommended OSM tag  (i'll be starting in Tofino) . ... then (I also)
would need to run a script to make the process faster.   HOWEVER, going slow
(importing shape files 1 at a time (per area) isn't a bad thing.  As i will
physically be in the area when importing.   .... (i'll also be using the
AutoMatch for those areas of duplicate data)

My timeline to get the python script made is by may 1st, after that, i can
be physically importing.

> I don't know how much demand there is for a 'contour only map'. If I get
> the impression that there is, I can probably rattle one off fairly quickly.
>
> Because ALL of the data that will be shown in your map, will be imported
onto openstreetmap, having a (full Canada) blank topo will be helpful as
this Topo is MUCH better & will be helpful to users who download OSM maps
for garmin.
... also i still dont yet know how to make an identical topo for Garmin.

I will need to render a topo layer when i start the printed version.... but
i'm till looking for ways around it, to avoid that. :)

Sam