Thanks,http://www.safe.com/products/desktop/overview.php
I think thats the product your referring to? Looks like it possible to get
14 days per user key?

Anyway, it seems like your method is similar, just that you grab the area
before it gets converted to OSM format.

The only challenge we still have is that it doesn't retain the NID, nor can
it automatically create tags for each feature ID.

But as long as the source looks back to CanVec, the legal standpoint should
be fine.

Does anyone know how to create a java script that will attach OSM tags to
SHP files?  (so it can be added on to this shp-to-osm script? ...

Until then, this manual effort seems fine.   BUT I will wait till i hear
from the rest of the team (talk-ca) list before proceeding to go full steam
ahead.  :)

Thanks,
Sam