James Ewen wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Corey Burger
> <corey.burger-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> For BC and Alberta, there are 3 - 4 different border lines with the US.
>> This one is very very easy. It is the 49th parallel from lake of the
>> woods to the straight of georgia.
>
> No so little Grasshopper!
>
> It's close to the 49th parallel, but not quite. In a perfect world, it
> would be the 49th parallel as per the agreements of 1818 and 1846, but
> back when the line was physically laid out, the technology was not
> quite sub-centimeter accuracy.
>
> My family wasn't exactly that accurate with their homesteading either,
> hence the split with half my family becoming American citizens, and
> the other staying on the good side of the line...

I think I corrected myself later when I realized that "Hey, better check
that with what's on the ground," since there is OAM data (if not
something better; it sucks that OAM seems to be more or less giving up)
of a reasonable enough resolution that one should be able to line up the
OSM data with reality.