- Sam Vekemans arranged a host of electrons thusly: -
> Hi all,
>
> I'm finding an interesting revelation here.
> Since the RoadMatcher wasn't done, for this mapped area.  What we did was
> make the greater_victoria.osm file available.
>
> So here we have myself, who is running around in circles, and wanting to
> copy over all the area, as fast as possible, but im finding that since there
> are more roads being added, more people (in this area) are taking notice,
> and starting to add in roads. (4 in the last week)
>
> So what i'm doing is messaging them letting them know that im copying over
> roads.  As it would ease on more work for others.

I feel like I should explain here.  I was experimenting with different
ways to do the import.  I found roadmatcher to be fairly painful to use
(perhaps I was being too picky) in urban areas.  So I generated a file
with everything from the NRN in it for the area I was interested in.

I then, in JOSM, found areas with roads missing, copied them out of the
geobase layer, and into the osm layer.  I connected up all of the roads,
and uploaded.  It was an easy approach, because I was working with an
area that had the major roads in place, but all of the residential
streets missing.  So you could just pick a large blank area, paste in
all of the data, and then connect it up on the edges.  Much easier in my
mind, because you can do it in small batches, an hour at a time (and you
don't have to go in later and connecte everything up all at once).

> However, this .osm file isn't redely available, nor was it posted on the
> wiki chart as a direct download link.

It's not posted on the wiki chart, because I didn't think to do so, but
the file is available to anyone who wants it.  http://drop.io/lxjbbxx is
where they're at.

> So, on the one-hand, i can just wait and i'll see the whole area mapped
> (even though i know that i can copy it and get it just as accurate as
> someone else can tracing over yahoo or their own GPS tracks.
>
> ... So my concern is that im in-advertently copying in roads that others
> have missed, but are wanting to draw in themselves.  And therefore be
> kind-of let-down, because they wated to draw it in.
>
> So i think the solution is clear. ... Host a mapping party so that it gets
> all imported in 1 session.  And use RoadMatcher whever possable.

I can certainly run roadmatcher to generate the normal file, but it's
not really hard to do a visual diff in josm to see what areas are
different.  Of course, a computer's going to be more thorough, and not
accidentally miss or duplicate things.

I'm not sure that a mapping party is the best way to go about it (though
getting all/most of the victoria mappers together would be good).
Providing a file to everyone, along with decent instructions on how to
use it would be nice... but then, I suppose that most people are using
Potlatch (so scratch that idea, inflicting the learning curve of JOSM on
someone isn't kind -- I like it now, but...)

I think we can do it distributedly, but maybe this is just my bias
because I find it hard to get together with other people.

Ok, this message is long enough.  I'll stop now :)

'night
        Austin.

--
Build a man fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.