From: James A. Treacy
Sender: talk-ca-boun...@openstreetmap.org
To: William Rieck
Cc: talk-ca
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] municipal government GIS data
Sent: 7 Oct 2009 3:03 PM

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 01:38:01PM -0400, William Rieck wrote:
> I've noticed Waterloo region has extensive GIS data available on their
> website with respect to land use, property lines, building locations, etc. I
> would guess this would be a common scenario across Canada.
>
> My question, "What is the status of the availability of this data for use in
> OSM, or is this still an open question that needs to be followed?"

>From the license on http://maps.region.waterloo.on.ca/locator/locator.htm

> Licence Restrictions.
> Unless otherwise specified you, the user, may not copy, modify, distribute,
> transmit, display, reproduce, publish, licence, create derivative works from ,
> link to or frame in another web site, use on any other web site, transfer or
> sell the site products in whole or in part either voluntarily or by operation
> of
> law. The foregoing prohibition expressly includes, but is not limited to, the
> practice of screen scraping, database scraping or any such practice or
> activity;
> the purpose of which is to obtain data or portions thereof, portions of
> databases from the Locator, in any manner or any quantities not expressly
> authorized.
>
> Parcel (property) information is obtained by the Regional Municipality of
> Waterloo from TERANET Incorporated and is subject to copyright (©)
> infringement
> laws.

This obviously precludes us from using the data from the web site.

I suspect that the company, TERANET, got the original data from
the region and simply put it into a reasonable form for use on
the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if the region pays them for
accessing their own data (our data really, as our taxes are supporting
this). What we need to do is see if we can get the original data so it
can be added to Openstreetmap.

As an aside:
One thing I notice is that school board property is not displayed
distinctly. I hope there is a source for this as it would be very
useful.

--
James Treacy
tre...@debian.org