Andy,
I suspect it will not help with every single geometry, but I think there
will be plenty of untouched ones though.

Unfortunately I do not have a specific example of a situation where this has
worked, but it seems better than the alternative of not using any UUIDs.
 For example importing all of the streets/parcels in Washington D.C. I think
it makes sense to have a UUID so we can more quickly mark data as it
changes.  Could we potentially accomplish this in other ways?  Sure.  I
think the UUID deserves exploration, if at a later time we discover it
hasn't worked at all they could potentially be removed.

-Kate