Sam's message has me somewhat confused as to who said what.  In terms of
cycling tagging in North America, where the legal framework is fairly
similar* most places, my approach has been as follows, FWIW.  First of
all, it gets confusing quickly because we don't have much in the way of
bicycle-specific laws.

LCN makes sense for roads designated as "recommended" cycling routes.
Cities like Toronto have roads and paths which have been deemed to be
safe for cycling, which may or may not have cycling-specific infrastructure.

RCN I'm not really sure about.  To me, the Route Verte in Quebec would
be a good example, though practical and perhaps linguistic reasons have
led to it being classified NCN.

I think that the sections of the Trans-Canada Trail that allow bicycle
use would be properly tagged with NCN.

As for what is useful for cyclists to determine what is a "good" cycling
route, I think that the maxspeed and cycleway tags should be the highest
priority.  There are probably more definitions of what determines a good
route than there are cyclists, so simply giving information about the
infrastructure will allow each person to determine the best route for
their own level of skill.

* A notable exception being bylaws regarding the legality of bicycles on
sidewalks.