Multiple approximations can often be very accurate when averaged.  We
had an NMR machine on the 1st floor ( UK so twelve feet from the
ground) that was fine until they built a four lane highway in the air
outside.  Lorries carrying steel do have cause problems to sensitive
magnets. However we found that if we ran the tests multiple times then
the random background noise actually diminished and we were getting
results that matched those of much more sensitive and expensive
equipment.

It might be worth while investigating if the same is true for GPS, I
suspect it probably is.  Something to do with bell curves in maths.

Cheerio John