Hello

I would like to take a shot at updating the OSM for some of New
Brunswick, which presently does not have very much mapping compiled. The
plan I think I'd like to follow is:

1. Select an NTS 1:50 000 area that has few roads and which has no OSM
or minimal OSM.
2. Run script(s) to generate OSM from the Canvec data set. At this point
I am only interested in roads, to prove the process for that.
3. Upload the OSM.
4. Have some people (you?) review the data, make comments.
5. Iterate the process a bit till quality good (or I give up!)
6. If I'm still here, maybe add some more.

Any comments on my plan are very welcome, especially helpful tips!

The part I'm currently interested in is #2, generating OSM from Canvec.
I saw on the mailing list that there is a python script called
canvec_to_osm_features.py, and I have downloaded that. However, I have
difficulty running it on my Windows XP box. Specifically:
- I can launch python (which I happen to have on my path)
- But if I just run "C:\Canvec2Osm>python canvec_to_osm_features.py
--version" then nothing happens.

I'd appreciate any comments on exactly what I need to do to get this .py
script to work.

Lastly (for now) I think that if I get the .py working, I will
immediately run into a problem with shp-to-osm. Like the .py readme
said, I have made a bin directory and I've put the shp-to-osm in there.
Actually I have both:
shp-to-osm-0.7.3-jar-with-dependencies.jar
in case there is some naming problem. Have I done the right thing?

Thanks for any help. I hope I won't get frustrated and that I'll be able
to help the project a bit!

John