In addition to what Frank said, I would also like to point out that
sac_scale [1] can be useful for hiking trails. If you happen to be into
mountain biking, the group of mtb: tags are also useful [2]. I'm also in
favour of using the smoothness tag [3] for forestry/4x4 roads, though there
is debate about its usage, and I'm waiting to see if surface:condition takes
over.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mountainbike
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness