Hi Frank,
- the quick answer is yes

- the long answer is also yes but with explanations ...

The shape/area covered by a water body depends on changes in water level -
usually related to latest precipitation, snow melt or tide -.  This means that
you ends up with thousands of modifications each time you update water bodies
using the actual water limit.  This was the case until 2002.

We then decided to use the concept of high/low water levels instead. The
Permanency attribute indicates if the feature represents a low water level
(1-permanent) or an area between the low and high water level (2-Intermittent).
In this case (2), we don't modify anymore a feature based on the actual water
limit, as long the water limits is within the Intermittent feature.

You wrote "I'm not really sure if there are such lakes in the prairies".  Well,
on the contrary!  Most of the water bodies are Intermittent there.

I hope I made it clearer.

Concerning Osm, there is no water level definition for the moment but there is
a proposed feature that match perfectly (*)!

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_cover

If accepted, there will be a perfect - and easy - match between Canvec and Osm
water body definition. Can this proposed feature be moved forward? Should we
use this feature even if not accepted yet?

Meanwhile, it can be described more accuratly than we do using multiple tags as
proposed by Richard but it will need image interpretation.

Cheers,

Daniel

(*) I wished I have done the proposition myself!