Hi All,

I have a screenview of what the Ontario LIO - Topography layer has.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/adiwnm819MH5R0RqCxYP-w?feat=directlink
You'll notice that in some cases it's better than Toporama & GeoBaseNHN, and
others it's not as great.

The idea here is that we are able to use GPX tracks & local knowlege (this
example is of Jack Darling Park (Mississauga) that i am familar with, so i
would be able to include things like the fact that there is playgrounds
around & i would know where the wooded area is & where there are single
trees to be mapped. ... along with with LIO / GeoBase / Toporama & CanVec
.osm files so to make the best map possable :-)

You'll notice that the Coastline is different from one source to the next.
That's because of the zoom level that the data was created at.  (I was told
what the scale was, where north of Algonquin Park is at a lower detail than
the southern half of Ontario.  So when you look at it from far away it looks
fine.

Please also note that there is LOTS of data available from the
Get.Capabilities file (from LIO i think i found all of it, but from GeoBase
there are a whole bunch available)    ... i was hoping to find the National
Protected Areas' file as a WMS, but no luck yet...

http://picasaweb.google.ca/samvekemans/OpenStreetMap#
(the last 2 photos) #38 & #39

Showing the difference from the Toporama WMS layer, to the GeoBaseNHN WMS
layer.

I updated the wiki with a little note about it.  So this is yet another tool
which will be of assistance in your map editing.  (BTW, for the

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada#GeoBase_-_NHN_WMS_Layer

Cheers,
Sam

***
GeoBase - NHN WMS Layer

The GeoBase product has a great WMS layer available, it lists all of the
water features. The detail is not as extensive as the Toporama WMS (above),
however this one shows the map features which are not available from
Toporama. Such as;

   - Water Direction Flow
   - centerline of the water direction in lakes
   - water junctions are highlighted

http://wms.cits.rncan.gc.ca/cgi/wms_en.cgi?map=/export/wms/mapfiles/rhn/geobase_rhn.map&version=1.1.1&service=WMS&request=Getmap&layer=HYDRO_AGGREGAT&format=image/png&STYLE=default&layers=GEOBASE_RHN_NHN&;

****

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com