I use GroundTruth getdata command (it's an easy windows thing, for those
non-ibuntu people). ...

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GroundTruth_Manual#getdata_Command

groundtruth getdata
-bu="http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.415&lon=-75.704&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF";

It creates a little file called *output.osm

*You can also use the bounds option instead
bounds Option

Specifies map boundaries in the following order:
Example:

groundtruth getdata -b=10,20.3,15,22.33

using http://touren.mospace.de/kachel.html it has a fun tile calculator and
has nice ready-made garmin maps (but that's not what the person was asking),
anyway you get this when you zoom to Ottawa

srtm2osm  -bounds1 45 -76 46 -75 -o 53258856.osm

so its

groundtruth getdata -b=45,-76,46,-75

... so that'll make a handy 1degree x 1 degree of all of OSM data for the
Ottawa area

.. and while where at it, you can download any 1x1 degree tile   a handy big
map which remembers all of the tile names can be found here
http://ulrichkuester.de/OSM/CoordinateToOSMTile.html

Cheers,
Sam