On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/05/12/ottawa-open-data.html
>
> It will probably take some time before we can digest it but it looks like it
> should be available soon.

That's good news that Ottawa is open to Open.  Thanks for bringing
this link to us.

You might recall my interest in seeing municipalities select the right
license when they publish their data.  I see that they include
promising guidelines in the article but no mention of a specific
license.

"8. License-free Data is not subject to any copyright, patent,
trademark or trade secret regulation. Reasonable privacy, security and
privilege restrictions may be allowed.”

I see that Thomas has already found the Ottawa license and drawn some
of the same conclusions I did regarding the Edmonton, Toronto and
Vancouver licenses.  I don't see a date on Thomas' post so I don't
know if he drew any inspiration from my article.  Thomas recommends
ODbL for municipal licenses where I recommend PDDL.

http://www.dataott.org/app/need/show/6
http://weait.com/content/unintended-restrictions

Too bad we can't use the Ottawa data under this license for OSM.

Best regards,
Richard