On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Yves Moisan <yves.moi...@boreal-is.com> wrote:
> Le 2010-07-06 14:26, Nicolas Marchildon a écrit :
>> Here's the deal. I'm an OpenStreetMap contributor, which means I'm always
>> looking at a map, but never talking to the other people in the area. I don't
>> even know if there are other people. I'd like to help build a community
>> where each can share their experiences and get answers to their questions.

> Just for the record, we organized an "across Canada" mapping party on
> Software Freedom day back in 2008 I believe.  This year it's on Sat 18 Sept.
>  Would it be a good idea to run another mega party at that date ?  I'd be
> willing to organize one for Sherbrooke.

Good memory, Yves.  I think that four or five cities participated that year.

I really recommend meeting in person with other mappers.  I'm
currently in Girona, Spain for State of the Map, having arrived early
to meet with mappers from many places.  It's great fun and a
tremendous learning experience.  But this same fun is available
locally.  Of the many options to meet mappers consider:

OSM Sixth birthday party.  OSM turns six in August.  Host or attend a
party to meet other mappers.  Talk.  Eat cake.  Have fun.

Host a local meetup.  Welcome newer mappers and those curious.  Answer
questions.  Talk.  Have fun.

Host a mapping party.  Find a place that needs attention from mappers.
 Divide it up in easily mapped chunks.  Map it.  Return to base to
edit it. Enjoy beverages. Talk. Have fun.

Host a longer event.  London, England has hosted hacking weekends to
solve specific programming challenges.  Hacking weekends have
traditionally been for those more on the programming side.

Isle of White, England hosted a 10-day mapping party when it was
completely unmapped.

Perhaps something else?  What you plan will depend on your interests,
and on the audience that you expect (or hope) to attract.  Same with
the venue.  Do you expect 2000 people?  You'll need space for them.
;-)  Do you expect five?

Nicolas, Yves can certainly offer you some experience from the
successful mapping parties that he has organized.

I would be very pleased to travel to Montreal and meet with others in
the area.  So please be sure to keep us posted on your plans.