There's another big reason to use NHN -- streams aren't artificially split
on tile boundaries in NHN.  Less cleanup work to do.
Overall, here's my current summary for best data for Canada:

- Geobase NRN for roads. I still find RoadMatcher to be very useful, plus,
just like with NHN, ways aren't actual split on tile boundaries. Less
stitching to do.
- NHN for streams/lakes
- Statscan vector for admin boundaries
- CanVec for everything else.

With all of the above, copy/paste rather than tracing over raster.

Michael.