Hi,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:18 AM, James Ewen <ve6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Sam Vekemans
> <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what nts tiles # are you in/interested in?
>
> Sam, you mentioned the NTS tile number WMS server the other day...
> perhaps a URL for it might be of use.
>
> I've been poking at the NTS tiles around Edmonton, and they aren't
> lining up with the NTS tile sheet numbers that I am familiar with.

I made a cool wiki page about Canada WMS layers
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Toporama_WMS

and this is the JOSM link, just right-click and change resolution when
you have the WMS layer running, you'll see all the tile #s
http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/indexcouverture_cantopo?LAYERS=background%2Creference%2Ccoverage%2Cgrid%2Cboundaries%2Cplacename&VERSION=1.1.0&FORMAT=image/png&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&;

and Edmonton is 083H12
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/browse.do?produit=cded&decoupage=50k&map=083H
(looking at the geobase map)

ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/083/H/
ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/083/H/083H12.zip

and it would be 083H12.3.3.2.osm  (which is just to the west of
Edmonton (downtown)

ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/083/H/083H11.zip
and 083H11.0.0.1.osm (which looks to be the downtown core) ... it has
the Central Station & the City hall... so i think thats the downtown
area.

Ya... it was a little hard to find.  As there is lots of tiles in the region.
Some of the stuff is out-dated especially in the city. .. as there's
lots of construction. (i think)
So ya.. it'll take time to work in.

I'd recommend starting in the area you know and work outwards.
As others in the region will most probably be starting to help out.

Looking at the data, it looks like it will be a manual copy/paste of
the house numbers/addresses. So starting in 1 corner, getting all the
features needed in and going city-block by city-block.  And uploading
bits at a time.
That way, when someone else wants to help out, you can easily share
where you've left off, and others can continue on.

Feel free jump on the #OSM-Ca irc chat, the more people online, the
better chance someone will be able to help out :)

Cheers,
Sam