The mix of natual=water and natural=coastline is because their dual objects. The natural=coastline is needed as the great lakes (as far as I know) is connected to the ocean. So deleting the coastline would delete portions of the Atlantic Ocean.

What I'm doing is enclosing the Canadian side of the great lakes, (object http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1120169 (which needs to be loaded in sections in JOSM)

My reasons:
1. Coastline's need to be complete to render properly. So if your loading Toronto island (Lake Ontario) into a system, you have to pull half the worlds oceans to get it to render properly... as with incomplete data a rendering engine can't till which side contains the water. Having a enclosed relation allows you to pull just that area. 2. It's currently impossible to tell if a coastline object is fully enclosed inside JOSM editing. But if you have a enclosed relation object (with type natural=water) where just one side is the coastline. You can easily tell by downloading the relation (aka 1120169)
3.  Naming.   Can't name a sting of coastline as easy as a single relation.

As for coastlines inland (like Lake Simcoe) make absolutely no sense to me as it's not a coastline. So my thought, if you have a natural=water object that more accurately represents the body of water... use it to replace the interior coastline.

But that's just my take...