i also tweeted about it yesterday

Sam Vekemans
@acrosscanada Sam Vekemans
[CivicAccess-discuss] What's doing in Montreal? Re: Montréal Ouvert in
the Gazette #opengov #montreal #quebec #canada http://post.ly/1G8Lk
19 hours ago via Posterous

Perhaps a way to help is to join in the existing movement for opening up data?

On a provincial level, we know that they get their data updates from
the municipal level.  So working with focus on the municipal level,
helps 'push the envelope' a little further.

what i have found is that it actually takes multiple people from
multiple backgrounds to continue to simply 'just ask' , sending
comments directly to the provincial/regional/municipal  governments,
and in your own words, just simply ask why they are not following the
lead of what other provinces/regional/municipal governments already
are doing. :)

On a provincial level, im certain that they already know that they
need to change their ways and the 'protectionism of geodata' does need
to change.    But this just takes time.  .. and they need to be
reminded :)
Similar to how the concept of 'email' took a very long time to spread
across all governments. :) ... if enough people ask... then they will
deliver :)

Cheers,
Sam

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap The Common Map channel (an open chat room)