Repost of the whole email can be found at the end of this email.

Dan,

This discussion is probably of benefit to more users across the
country, as the GeoBase/Canvec import process is still underway, and
others are dealing with similar issues.

There are literally thousands of "little problems" left behind from
the import process. Any highway that was "close enough" according to
the import script was dropped. Any roadways that joined into the
dropped highway ended up not being joined to the existing highway.
This requires manual intervention to connect all those unconnected
intersections.

GPS traces are fairly accurate these days, but you will find many
people that will argue the opposite. It's up to your interpret the
data you have before you as to how accurate each is in representing
reality.

The whole OSM project is based upon crowd sourcing, and leveraging all
of the local expertise. Eyes on the ground supersedes any remote
monitoring no matter how good it might be. Those local eyes see things
as they are currently, and not as it was when the remote monitoring
(satellite photos or such) were taken.

I pretty sure JOSM can pull up history. I don't use JOSM, so don't
know for sure, but history on each way is available in the database.
Someone familiar with JOSM will be able to jump in.

vreimer has edits in just about every part of Canada, if not the
world. The proliferation of his edits is what brought about suspicion
as to the accuracy of the information being included in the database.
vreimer never had any interaction with anyone in the OSM community
that we know of, and because of that lack of communication, the
account remains in suspension. Just a simple conversation or two on
this reflector would probably reinstate full edit capability to the
account.

By asking the questions you have, and participating in this discussion
would lead most OSM users to believe that you have the right
intentions, and will be doing your best to add to the quality of the
database.

As for the protocol for changing the Google document... I think I just
added my notes after the GeoBase import comments to show that I was
adding more detail beyond the highway import. I don't know if it's
really important to follow an official protocol, it's more about just
letting people know that you're working on an area so that there's no
duplicated work happening... there's not enough of us working to waste
time duplicating work.

James
VE6SRV