Hi,  ,,,, ya Richard responded... but i wanted too :)

Yup.
For the NRCan trails that you see on the map (if no canvec has been
imported, please try to get the data imported (manually copied in) for your
area.  Or use the Ibycus Topo garmin maps[1] (which is the exact same
source).
And just add in the name of the trails as you actually see the signs.  Feel
free to take photos of the signs as you go along, and geo-tag them in
flickr/picasa (it helps everyone).

At the exact point where the sign is, place a node and put

tourism=information
information=guidepost
name=Name on the sign
source=survey

FYI, for some areas (like Ontario) the government is a bit nicer, and
actually shares this information (trailheads as POIs) [2].  My hopes is that
this new Premier will want to make the data open. .. time will tell i
guess.

Since it's in OpenStreetMap ... 'on the ground' trumps all data.   Remember
that the NRCan data is sometimes old, so their might have been a trail where
it's shown and it might have changed since or become overgrown.

Cheers,
Sam
[1] http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
[2]  I'm currently in the process of converting the Land Information Ontario
- trails data  into .osm files and .gpx / .gdb files .. the licence of this
conversion will be ccBY - Land Information Ontario / Ministry of Natural
Resources ... and up the the OpenStreetMap Foundation 'Powers' to decide if
it gets used....
here's the ontario trails data... the poi's are soon.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8lecWX_g_RNULcGJYgdU_Q?feat=directlink
... and for BC trails, if i do convert it, it will need to be 'personal use
only' ... which genuinely sucks for everyone.. :(

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn