From: Brent Fraser [mailto:bfra...@geoanalytic.com]
Sent: May 18, 2011 11:27
To: Bégin, Daniel
Cc: talk-ca@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Off-topic: general Canvec issues

Daniel,

  While this is not directly related to OpenStreetMap, I'm posting this here
since the OSM community seems to be the most active set of public users of
Canvec data.  The goal of this post is to improve Canvec (and therefore
hopefully improve OSM).

  As a method of testing the latest release of Mapserver
(http://mapserver.org/), I attempted to use Canvec v7 to render a CanTopo
<http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=A6291EF5-F3FC-A29F-3162-DE4DB194FD38>
  style map.  See my mapserver post
<http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2011-May/068731.html>  for
more details on my efforts.  While the issues I covered on the Mapserver email
list are specific to Mapserver rendering shortcomings, there were a few other
issues related to the Canvec data.

  One of the main issues I ran into was the Toponymy (TO) layer
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Toponymy_%28TO%29>   is represented
by point geometry preventing me from rendering the mountain range text (for
example) in a curved manner as done in CanTopo.  Is there any possibility of
having NRCan change the geometry to LINESTRING?  Or perhaps having a
_TO_1580009_1 (linestring) shapefile for those names representing linear
features  in addition to the existing _TO_1580009_0 (point) shapefile?

  Some of the other less serious issues (these can be handled by pre-processing
the Canvec data):

Contour layer (FO_1030009_1):  no attribute for major/minor contours preventing
bolding of major contours
Stream Layer (HD_1470009_1): major streams broken at tributary intersections
preventing single label for streams

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,