On 11-05-30 09:15 PM, Me (Gmail) wrote:
I've been working on improving the Barrie, Ontario area, and I'm
trying to figure out what is going on with/what to do about Lake
Simcoe.

There are multiple CanVec-imported ways that together make up a fairly
detailed, accurate representation of the lake. A single low-detail way
[1] is overlapping these, and obscures the accurate detail in many
places when rendered [2].

[1]: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4997263
[2]: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2398828/lake-simcoe-josm.png

Not having much experience dealing with large or tiled objects in OSM,
my question is if the low-resolution object is serving a purpose, and
whether I should bother editing it so as to not overlap with the
high-detail version, or whether it can just be deleted.

Hi AJ,

The Canvec version is clearly better, so the lowres version can be deleted. It was probably one of the features being traced when only Landsat imagery was available. In my opinion this cleaning up should have been done during the import of the Canvec sheet. Otherwise this import gets more characteristics of a "bad import" (by leaving duplicate features), which we should prevent. (Note that there are also some people who think that user traced features are always better than imported features, but in this case the difference is evident, and nobody has bothered yet to trace the shoreline from the Bing imagery.)

What might have caused this is that Lake Simcoe overlaps several sheets, so it can't be deleted at once. Wat I usually do is to cut the part of the coastline which is overlapping the sheet being imported, and connect the existing coastline to the new one. An example of this can be seen in the southeast part of Lac Saint-Jean in Québec: [1]. This is also how I've dealt with the Saguenay river, and also with the St. Lawrence coastline. This can best be done asap, because you never know for sure when you continue with the rest. It is a bit more work, but in my opinion it's much better than confusing or even annoying others.

Frank

[1] http://osm.org/go/cLD8wZR--