What I did with lake superior is used the canvec data to build the big lake
superior object.  The multi-polygon become natural=water.   then converted
the entire line that was the shore to natural=coastline and connect it to
the existing coastline out side the object.   That way if you import the
data into a GPS the lake object for canada shows up, but the is an existing
coastline as well (which the US side uses a coastline)

Personally I like the idea of having the lake object that way you can pull
it as one object.

Michael

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Daniel Begin <jfd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been imported Canvec data around US-QC-ON border and I'm having a
> similar question.  When should we use Canvec data as is (natural=water) and
> when should we transform it into natural=coastline?
>
> Using natural=coastline on US border (to match tagging with the US portion)
> seems fine to me but when do we switch to the other representation?
>
> Does someone have a proposition?
>
> Daniel

*

G. Michael Carter*
 Contact: H: 1-519-940-8935 | W: 1-905-267-8494 | M: 1-519-215-1869 | F:
1-519-941-0009
Google Talk: xmpp:mikeycarter1...@gmail.com

<http://livedvd.carterfamily.ca/><http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.9216&lon=-80.105&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF>
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.9216&lon=-80.105&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF>