On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:

> I was looking at the new truck rendering layer at
> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=160 and ran across an
> import called the Calgary Area Trail Mapping Project. This is, as far as I
> can tell, the only significant use of hgv=* between Vancouver and Toronto.
> Does anyone know anything about it? The hgv=* (and other access) tags on
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/26574987 seem somewhat out of place.
The Calgary Area Trail Mapping Project is tied in with a local 4X4
club from what I recall... I was in communication with one member a
number of years ago. Most of the trails they are adding are for off
highway vehicles, ie. four wheel drives, quads, or smaller more
maneuverable machines.

I ran across some trails from the project when out on a week long
horseback riding camp...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.0671916007996&lon=-115.968310832977&zoom=14

The roads there are tagged as hgv=no, and are indeed not suitable for
most passenger cars.

The hgv classification possibly being mistaken for High
Ground-clearance Vehicle rather than Heavy Goods Vehicle.

More appropriate would probably be the TRACK, TRACKTYPE and SMOOTHNESS tags.

There's no ACCESS value for OHV (Off Highway Vehicles)

As with many tags, the use of the tags by the author may not be what
the intended us was...
--
James
VE6SRV